For this week’s edition of our Blogger Q+A, we talk to Chris of Keep It Trill. We talk about how Keep It Trill was started, the disadvantages of being a genre specific blog & his methods for discovering new music.
Where, How & Why did you start Keep It Trill?
A combination of things really led toward the creation of Keep It Trill. I had the chance to befriend the late Pimp C of UGK about a year before he passed away. At the time, I was working at the airport in Houston and going to school. After having a bunch of conversations with him, I sort of became motivated to “be my own boss” and start working for myself.
I quit my job at AirTran and moved up to Atlanta with my parents for a couple years while I continued school and tried starting my own business. I was focusing on simple things like myspace promotion and design, since at the time that was THE big thing, and I had a jump on it after maintaining the pages for Bun B and Pimp C. Other than that, I had a pretty limited vision of where I wanted to go and what my ultimate goals were, so that’s when my best friend from Florida, Adi, said he would invest in me, become my business partner, and really start to outline a path for us.
We registered Trill Promotions Group, LLC as a business and set up TrillPromotions.com, offering services like CD duplication, myspace design, cd artwork & flyer design, and stuff Iike that. During the same time, I had been talking with Pimp C and how he wanted to start a social networking type of website, like myspace, but called “Fly Space”. I wasn’t really sure how to proceed and when he died, an influx of traffic came to our website since we were the first to put out a public letter on the web from some of his family. We started making updates about him and his family, funeral plans and things like that after his death, so that’s when we decided to create KeepItTrill.com, giving people updates on all southern-hip hop related topics. The name of Keep It Trill was pretty much a tribute to Pimp C himself and to carry on his legacy with the use of the word “Trill”.
What do you think uniquely defines Keep it Trill from other music blogs?
I think the professionalism is mostly what separates us. We use a word-press/blog content management system, but we usually aren’t quite as laid back and personal with our content as with most blogs. We really like to consider ourselves as a media outlet rather than a blog. We focus more on developed stories, rather than a quick blog update on a topic with only a couple of sentences. The overall layout and structure of our site, we think, is more user friendly and not disorganized and jumbled together like most blogs. We also try to keep a mostly southern-feel to our site and heavily cater to the Texas/Louisiana audience, due to our name, although we do try to stay somewhat diverse and keep an open ear to what’s going on in other regions of the country.
Do you think there’s a disadvantage to being a genre specific blog? Why or why not?
Definitely. Any time you try to stay within a certain niche audience, you can’t necessarily post anything you want without receiving some sort of back lash. If we started posting a lot of Beyonce or Justin Bieber, we would probably receive some hate content in our comments. This can also limit potential growth of the site, but at the same time, can gain you a pretty loyal following. We have created MixtapeWire.com and AutoFixx.com to reach a more diversified audience.
What albums/mixtapes have caught your attention in 2011?
For mixtapes, Big K.R.I.T.’s Return of 4Eva has to be my favorite, along with Da Underdawgz The 1st One Is For Pimp. As for albums, most people would probably expect us to say Pimp C’s Still Pimping, but I heard a lot of the original music from that album, before Rap-A-Lot retooled the songs and added new beats, so that kind of ruined the album for me. I think Trae Tha Truth’s Street King was a pretty solid album and I think Rick Ross’ God Forgives, I Don’t may be one of the best albums of the year, when it comes out in December, as long as there isn’t too much Lex Luger produced tracks. I like Lex Luger, I think he just gets a little to redundant. I’m also looking forward to Young Jeezy’s TM103.
We really receive sooooo many e-mails every hour of every day, we pretty much just scan through that in our spare time and will post something if we like it. What I can tell aspiring artists is this: If you look or sound like somebody else then we probably won’t give you a chance. We want to support someone who has their own sound and identity. We also can’t stand it when we receive music that says “track 1”, or when receive e-mails full of bad grammar. If you don’t take yourself seriously, how do you expect someone else to take you seriously? 95% of the music industry is business and politics, the other 5% is talent.